Monday, September 6, 2010

Response to "Bless Me Ultima" Part I


So this week in the book “Bless Me Ultima” I read the first two chapters. I have to say, after reading these first few chapters I’m lucky I had a homework assignment to do. Because if I hadn’t I might not have gotten to bed at all and I would have gone out the next day with no sleep because I stayed up all night reading this amazing book.
First off, I love this book not because my English teacher told me to read it, but because I can connect with book on many levels. The setting feels like home to me, the characters feel like family and the story seems like one my grandfather would have told me when I was still a child. The book’s main character’s name is Antonio, and he is part of family who lives in the southwest. I believe they live somewhere in the New Mexico providence, but I couldn’t quite get an accurate impression from what I’ve read thus far. The book begins by telling the story of Tony’s family and how they came to be in the town they live in now. I would attempt to retell the story, but I’m afraid I could not replicate the attention to detail and rich story telling that Rudolfo Anaya uses to write of this family history. The main plot that has developed now is the woman named Ultima has come to live with Tony and his family at their house. This woman is highly respected and very old, she has come to stay because Tony’s parents did not want this special woman to die alone. They believe that Ultima has done her fair share of good deeds, and is entitled to live out the rest of her days in peace. Within a couple of days after Ultima’s arrival the town sheriff is killed. The sheriff is the brother to Tony’s neighbor and the neighbor recruits Tony’s father to help with manhunt of the killer, a local man. During the chase Tony sneaks out of the house and witnesses the death of the killer at the hands of the mod.
Again, I wish my summary could do this story true justice. I tried my best to cover the main elements of the plot, but this story is so full of great writing that summarizing it does the book a great misdeed. Initially my first reaction as reader was to place myself into this well written story, because everything about the book thus far I have enjoyed. Anaya does so well with explaining the details of the land, people and culture that I can almost smell the desert air and feel the cool nights of the southwest as the story unfolds. One reason this story is seems so genuine to me is because I believe Anaya would have been a part of this culture, so he does well with representing the southwest. I can already feel a strong connection to Tony; the character is created with care making him someone I can easily relate too. I’m excited to keep reading the book so I can see what other things Anaya will throw at the reader. 

1 comment:

  1. You had some beautiful descriptions of your response to the book thus far, but I wish you would refrain from apologizing so much. You did an excellent summary, but I want more of your own response to the text to come into the future posts. For example, what about the story reminded you of one your grandfather would have shared?

    Also, the word 'few' means three or more:)

    ReplyDelete